`Sentry Gates

Thursday, April 21, 2016

How to “Zombie” Proof Your Driveway Gate

Zombie = the unprepared in prepper speak, we are not talking about the “walking dead” here…

I feel like I have achieved a level of preparedness that affords me the luxury of slowing down, stepping back and carefully analyzing my efforts to date. Though I have discovered several areas that need attention, perimeter security is one that I think, based on world events and economy focused statistics, I should address and improve upon immediately. My entire acreage is fenced in, and while it only serves to keep honest people honest, it’s only 4 feet high and can easily be breached. I plan on adding two feet plus a couple strands of barbed wire, 100 feet at a time. I have 5 acres so that, is going to be a long slow process.



I decided what I would tackle first, was to make my walk through and driveway gates, a little more formidable and uninviting. When I built those gates, I built them much larger, heavier and stronger than they needed to be because, well, I have no self-control.

I realized that all I really needed was a way of preventing, or at least, discouraging people from climbing over my gate. I decided what the gate lacked was a menacing array of zombie impalement spikes!

I found some 1/2 inch threaded rod while walking a scrap yard a while back, looking for metal to build a grill out of. I brought the rod home not really having plans for it, but realizing that someday it would come in handy. That day was today.

I began by cutting the rod into 6-inch lengths, then taking them to the grinder, and grinding sharp points on one end.

When I was finished, I ended up with 38 zombie impalement spikes for the driveway gate, and 8 for the walk through the gate.

I then threaded nuts and washers onto the spikes, put the spikes through the holes I drilled in the gate rails, and tightened them up with nuts and washers on the bottom of the spikes.

Then, I painted the spikes and since I was already out there with brush and paint, I convinced “let’s take a nap” Brad, to put a coat of oil base on the both spikes and the gates.

I think much of this is mental. By that I mean, It makes me feel better knowing that I have a gate that most people would take a look at and know that one, I was serious about keeping people out and two,If I went through the trouble time and expense of adding spikes to the top of my driveway gates, I was probably a little unstable as well. Both are OK with me.

How to “Zombie” Proof Your Driveway Gate\First published on http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net

Related Article: Driveway Gate with Lights

No comments:

Post a Comment